In honor of Mark's niece Mindy's new baby, I've been pondering over all the things I wish I'd known when Gracie was born. Here's a list of the books I have read since that I really needed back then:
Happiest Baby on the Block--Okay, so I haven't finished the book yet, but I did watch the movie. Where was this when I was getting up with Brian 5 times a night or staring helplessly at my kitchen and unfinished dinner while he enjoyed his monopoly on my arms? This book teaches you 5 ways to calm a cranky baby, and while my kids never scream uncontrollably, (Phew!) Brian was a cranky kid. My favorite tip from this book is, as Gracie calls it, "The Secret Swaddle." I learned how to wrap Rosie up so tight that her arms are pinioned to her side. She loves it! And she sleeps great. She takes good naps in the day and sleeps 10-5 at night. I think that, since babies can't control their hands very well, they get woken up by them. Isn't that a funny thought? Hooray for the Secret Swaddle!
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child--I checked this book out from the library in utter desperation because of the afore mentioned lack of sleep, thanks to Brian. I seem to remember it being a little difficult to read and understand, but it's possible that it only seemed that way to me because I hadn't slept for more than a 2 or 3 hours at a time for weeks. It helped a little with Brian's sleep, but it worked miracles for Gracie! I started putting Gracie to bed way earlier on the advice of this book, and it changed Gracie completely. If you can believe it, Gracie was actually rather mean and naughty and I was at a complete loss. Once Gracie started getting all the sleep she needed, she was a changed girl. Now, she's a sweetheart, and she goes to bed at 6:30.
Love and Logic--I keep reading, re-reading and listening to this one. They have a bunch of books and lectures. Their parenting method also really helped me out with Gracie's afore mentioned behavior issues. I love that I can discipline my kids and I never have to get upset or yell and some of the tricks I've learned are just downright fun. Here's an example: If Gracie says she won't clean up her toys, I can say, "Oh, that's okay. I'll take care of it for you" and she'll jump up, horror-stricken, and clean. She knows that if I clean up her toys, I keep them!
Luckily, Gracie seems to be turning out okay despite all the trial and error. Brian seems to be doing okay too. I think I might try to potty-train him this summer, though, and I can't tell you how nervous I am about that. All my past experience has convinced me that I am a lousy potty trainer. Where's my miracle book about that?
Whoever reads this, feel free to add to my little list. I'm always looking for a few extra tips. . .
Sunday, April 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
When Madison was born they taught me the "baby burrito", I was in awe. Where was that knowledge when I had Carl? Pinning the arms to the body was perfect and she was content until she would get free but I did get good at getting it just right. I also use the method of if I have to clean up the toys they will be cleaned up into a black plastic bag and they are mine to do with what I please. It has backfired a bit since we have been here though since they know the maid will clean up after them even though I tell her not to, we are still working on that. As for potty training, it was miserable with Carl and Ha-Na so with Madison I just did not want to have that experience again. I would suggest it and if she wanted to we would and if not then I did not stress over it. I would offer candy but it did not interest her until one day she finally thought it was a great idea. I let her run arround mostly naked for a weekend and had lots of mnm's on hand and that was it. I did have to wean her off the candy incentives though but it was the most painless potty training ever.
Ape
it is funny with your first, you are so consumed with the whole phenomena of being pregnant that you spend all your time reading about just the pregnancy part. It doesn't even occur to you to read the part about what to do with the actual baby.
Thanks for the suggestions though I'm going to the library the first chance I get
I'm sorry we couldn't make it to see Rosie's blessing! Natalie's sister and her Uncle were blessing their babies on the same day. We're moving to 35th Ave and Union Hills, so hopefully we'll get to see more of you guys!
Post a Comment