Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My new thing

Here's my latest thing. With my innate paranoia, and the fact that food prices really are increasing, I have decided to start canning. I used to be horrified if I paid more than $100 dollars at the grocery store, now I'm lucky to keep it under $150. And I've got more mouths to feed now. My family is leaving behind the one package or one can days. I bought a bag of salmon fillets, and Gracie cried because there wasn't enough for seconds for her! How sad is that! So, I'm going to can. Lucky for me, my mother-in-law is the queen of all things canned. If you can can it, she knows how. That is why I have a can of butter, yes, butter on my shelf. She helped me can some carrots the other day. I managed to can some strawberry jam, puree, and slices all by myself, and I did up a bunch of orange marmalade. My pressure cooker I ordered just arrived today. Ground beef is on sale. . . wish me luck!

1 comment:

Carl and April said...

I am on the the same page with you. While we are in the states I want to get everything I need so I can get it shipped with our stuff. Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated since I am a novice. Carl is really into Hydroponics so we are researching that so we can have an indoor garden and I will be able to have things that are really expensive here (like brocolli and strawberries). I will can what we won't use.