Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Superwoman's Super Supper

My day yesterday was plodding along nicely. I was on top of my chores, I had spent some special time with Brian, Gracie was getting her homework done, and we were just about to practice. We were perfectly on schedule. About 5:20, the phone rings. It was the missionaries. Mark is a ward missionary so we hear from them a lot. They must have gotten stood up for dinner and needed a meal. Yipes! So I kicked it in to high gear, and guess what? I had the house picked up (i.e. I hid the laundry), I cleaned the bathroom, fed Rosie and got her down for a nap, and had a to die for dinner on the table, all by 6:30! I am so good! Here's what I fixed:

Jamaican Jerk Shrimp on Sweet Potatoes with Corn and Black Bean Salad

Jerk Spice (thanks allrecipes)
  • 2 tablespoons dried minced onion (I used mine from the cannery, I love it!)
  • 2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Mix together and toss with shrimp. Add chopped mango (a firm mango works best) and saute 'til warmed through. Add some lime juice and serve on a baked sweet potato (they're just not the same nuked. Fire up the ol' oven for this one. 400 for an hour or so)

Corn and Black Bean Salad
  • 2 cans corn, drained
  • 1 pint home-canned black beans (I love my canned beans!)
  • 2 chopped roma tomatoes
  • cilantro sliced
  • lime juice
  • sliced green onions
  • avacados would be good too, but I didn't have any.
Mix together and serve. This dish is beautiful!

Wow! I was feeling pretty good about myself. You will too if fix this for dinner! Now I'm off to find my laundry. . .

1 comment:

Carl and April said...

I am going to try this recipe for my parents, it looks pretty low carb. Thanks for sharing!