Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The difference between a T-Rex and an Allosaurus

I now know the difference between an Allosaurus and a T-rex. Brian is all about dinosaurs right now; therefore, I am all about dinosaurs right now. You may not have noticed (unless you have someone in your house obsessed with prehistoric life) that most of the dino figures are made in China and feature dinos common to China. For example, Brian got a book in the Target $ spot about dinosaurs that said that the Shunosaurus is a very well-known dinosaur since it is so common. Have you ever heard of a Shunosaurus? (If your curiosity is piqued, it is a sauropod with a spiked tail.) Brian asks me what the dino figures are called. He remembers all their names--you should hear him say Ichthyosaurus with his lisp--so I have to come up with an answer. The Euoplocephalus tripped me up there for a while. I knew it wasn't an Ankylosaurus, but I wasn't sure what it was. Luckily, our peasley library (I miss you Naperville Public Library!) has a reasonable dinosaur section. While I was perusing our latest acquisition-First Dinosaur Encyclopedia-I stumbled across this useful nugget: Tyrannosaurus Rex only has 2 fingers while its bigger relation, Allosaurus has 3. Mystery solved! I can now tell Brian's T-rex toys from his Allosaurus toys! Phew.

2 comments:

Cheryl Anne said...

now I'll be able to sleep tonight. :)

alligood said...

I am sooooooo happy you've decided to re-enter the blogging world! I've missed you! :-)
But, I'm going to have to stop reading if you keep making references to the fabulous weather, got it?!?
-Alli

P.S. I'm impressed with your dino-knowledge. Pretty impressive! I'll be sure to call you if I have any questions.