Friday, March 6, 2009

Shh. . . Top Secret

So I have always leaned a little to the frugal side (read: I'm a total cheapskate), so coupons naturally appealed to me. I'd never been able to make it work 'til my cousin introduced me to the Grocery Game. I was enlightened! From there, I switched to CouponSense, which I prefer, but I am proud to admit, I am now subscription free! I make my own lists, and use the free online services like couponmom to double check my work. Now I regularly get stuff free from the grocery store. My pantry is packed and my downstairs shower (which we never use) now has shelves in it and is also full of food. And I have a big pantry! I probably have a good 3 mo supply of food on hand, thought the list-maker in me is itching to make a proper inventory.

Now, I am looking over my shoulder even as I type this, not that I really think I can get in trouble, nor do I know who exactly would bust me, but this is the Top Secret Coupon Trick! Coupons cross over. For example, I bought Duracell batteries (on sale, of course!) but my coupon for the batteries was only $.50 off. The Duracell hearing aid battery coupon was for $2 off. So I used that one. And it works! Any General Mills cereal coupon works for any other General Mills cereal, even if it is not listed on the coupon. Some of the cross-overs are even more ingenious. Shamrock sour cream coupons ($1 off) work for their milk drinks which you can usually find for 10/$1. Wow! I get giddy just thinking about it. (Here's the reason: the codes for similar products are the same on the coupons, so they scan regardless of what the coupon actually says.) Combine that with the fact that Fry's accepts expired coupons (ask at your store) and the possibilities are mind-boggling. Then, consider canning some of your extra cheap goodies and maybe invest in an extra freezer (mine is full of $1. 57 milk) and you can really stock up! Useful during this economy, right?

So good luck, fellow bargain hunters!

P.S. I added a bargain blog to my list. Worth checking out (see the free FHE kit offer!)

P.P.S. Add some of your frugal tips too!

P.P.P.S My cousin asked me what organization system I use. This can save you from a lot of bitterness and despair. The "code your coupon inserts and wait to clip until the web site tells you" method is no good. Too time consuming and then you don't have access to your own coupons. Then I tried filing by category, only there were so many coupons in each category, that I was fumbling and dropping them all over while Brian ran off and Rosie climbed out of the cart. Fun times. Then I got a bigger organizer and sorted all my coupons alphabetically by brand name. I staple brands together, except for the big ones like pillsbury and general mills, which I paper clip together. I try to put the newer ones on top so the expired ones are on the bottom. Coupon nirvana at last.

2 comments:

Carl and April said...

Wow, you are so awesome. I am working on unpacking still (we have another shipment coming from bahrain) and I keep thinking of canning which gets me thinking of you. One thing at a time I guess. We did a family home eveing with the kids and planted seeds to make starts for our vegetable and herb garden and tried to talk to them about being self sufficient. They just had fun planting, I hope some of it got into their little heads though. now we have to besure it wont freeze and we can plant them. Hopefully by the time it is ready to harvest I will be ready to can. I am excited to check out your link, you inspire me.

alligood said...

I'm so happy to have inspired you to try couponing!
Now you've inspired me, since I have totally and completely fallen off the wagon. :-)
I seriously felt like I saved a TON of cash and some things were so excellent - like $1 cereal. It took us 6 months to eat the 50 boxes I purchased. Now I cringe when I purchase cereal for more than that!

So, more details, please. What system did you find for organizing your coupons?
-Alli