Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gracie's Announcement

Ahh, the best laid plans. . .backfire. I thought I was doing the right thing by reading to my child. I thought listening to books on tape in the car and at bed time would help and even had some vague notions about improved comprehension and exposing my child to the classics, etc. Gracie announced today that she doesn't like to read (can she be my child?) because it is much more fun to be read to. She loves to check out stacks of books from the library, but refuses to read them herself. When I read out loud after lunch, it is a favorite time of day. She refuses to sleep without a book on tape playing. She positively adores Winnie the Pooh (if you've never read the REAL one, you don't know what you're missing-get the book on tape) and Wind in the Willows and tells me all about their adventures in the books. She insists on keeping the books in her room, but will she read them to herself? No! Where did I go wrong?

No comments: