Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Workbox Post

All the cool homeschooling moms who use workboxes post about them, so I guess I will to. (And I told my cousin I would.) I can't find our camera right now, so no pics, but if you want the file for my workbox poster, I will email it to you.

The idea of workboxes really appealed to me because of its structure, flexibility, and because it helps the kids take more accountability in their own routines. My morning routine is sacred. I have to have all the pieces fall in to place just right to set up for a good, productive day. Workboxes have really helped us with that.

Here's how it works. Mom sets up the workboxes for the kids every day. If you google workbox and homeschool you'll find lots of great examples of what other moms have done. The official version is to have 12 plastic shoeboxes sitting on a bookshelf all numbered and filled with creative, educational activities. Some moms use those tupperware drawers. (I like this better-I think the drawers are a good size) I just have some folders in a magazine holder on the table. Some moms use a hanging file folder thing. The kids then sits down and goes through each workbox, removing the number and sticking it on the poster as he finishes. The kids is motivated by the sense of accomplishment, being able to see the next activities, and knowing when they are finished and how much they have to do.

In my version, the first workbox on the poster is Get Ready with a pic of brushing teeth, hair and getting dressed. The next box is Clean Room, followed by Chore. My kids and I have a daily chore: M-Clean room thoroughly (under the bed and everything) T-Sweep a part of the floor or help mop, W-Bathrooms, Th-pick one, like wash windows, walls, help dust, clean out car. . . F-playroom. So, this morning, Gracie scrubbed the toilet in the kids bathroom, Brian wiped the counter, and I cleaned the other two bathrooms. Gracie also has a Practice box for violin and piano. After that box, there is a Box 1 and Box 2 that correspond with the folders. The next box is Read (theoretically, we should get to this box after lunch, when I like to have reading time). Then they each have Boxes numbered 3-5 for the rest of their activities.

For the folder activities, Box 1 is usually Math and 2 is reading/language arts. The rest of the boxes are either Gracie's other school subjects or fun/educational activities. I really like that I can incorporate some of those toys/crafts/games/activities that I think are such a good idea but we never get to. I have a great domino game on my shelf that is great, but we never do it. Now I can incorporate it into the workboxes and assign it for the day. The other huge perk is that the kids morning routine is more automated with less nagging. They can see exactly what needs to be done and often, do it themselves without too much hassling from me. I love this! There is a little competition between who gets their workboxes done, which can be played up or down, depending on your household (and perhaps the #of boys!)

For my poster, I have squares in a grid. I printed it twice and cut one up. Istuck on some velcro dots, and viola! Instant organization! When the kids finish a task, they get the workbox square from me (that way, I can check it) and stick it on their poster. I have some incentives if they finish their whole poster. I have some trouble keeping up with the kids when they are really plowing through their boxes, if the activity needs more mom supervision, so sometimes I have to tell them to go play for a minute 'til I am freed up to help them a little more.

All in all, I love this system. I will probably still use it this summer and next year, I will modify it when I am not homeschooling Grace.

1 comment:

alligood said...

K. Love the idea of this, but am having a difficult time with the 'vision'. Pictures please! (when you get a chance, since I know you're not busy or anything!) LOL!!!
The poster? So, are there numbered stickers on the different assignments? I'm sort of confused - I think I just need to 'google' workbox for homeschool moms! :-)