Just in case you thought we were getting off easy with just the stomach flu and pink eye, we got the respiratory flu also. Gracie got it first, with a fever and dry, persistent cough, so I tucked her in for a couple days of special sicky-picky treatment. Our favorite sick-day snack: frozen banana, milk and ovaltine all blended up. Yum! Second favorite snack: a thick slab of Mark's mom's homemade wheat bread with tomato slices and cheese all toasted. Only I fully appreciated this, though. Tomatoes have been a particular pregnancy love. Gracie refuses cheese that has melted even the slightest bit, but she ate an entire sliced tomato, and Brian doesn't like tomatoes, although he loves cheese toast. Whatever.
Even these yummy sick-day snacks didn't perk Gracie up and her 102 fever stretched on and on. I finally took her to the doctor (on Valentine's Day; how sad). She lay down on the exam table in fetal position and hacked and hacked. Her eyes, already pink and bloodshot from the flu, looked all the worse for her whimpering. I've never seen my pretty little girl look quite so pathetic. The doctor walked in, took one look, and exclaimed, "Oh, she IS sick!" A nose flu swab came back very, very positive. Nothing else seemed wrong, so I got a Tamiflu scrip for Brian just in case and took my poor kiddo home to ride out the rest of her bout with the flu. She said she was even too sick to run over to school and pick up her Valentines from the party she missed. (By the way, sick kids put a big crimp in Valentine's plans.)
By Sunday, Gracie was finally fever free, but we still kept her home from church. I was relieved to finally be in the clear, but. . . wouldn't you know it, Brian woke up with a fever on Monday. Is there any reason why he couldn't overlap at all with Grace? I filled the Tamiflu scrip. Its expensive! I might have considered letting him tough it out too, but baby could be here any day and I didn't want to chance it. Thanks to Tamiflu, Brian seems better today. His fever never got too high, which I suppose is good, but I definitely prefer Gracie's sick days. She lounged on the couch and dozed, while Brian refused sleep and was generally very unpleasant. I'm sick of being sequestered. There are still a few nasty bugs circulating out there that we haven't got, so cross your fingers for us!
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Why, oh WHY can't the kids all be sick at the same time?!?!? When any one of my brood gets sick, it goes on and on and on and on! I'm glad everyone's on the mend - thank goodness for Tamiflu!
-Alli
Post a Comment