My quest/obsession to perfect my pantry continues. A few Sundays ago, I was perturbed to find myself eggless. Then my neighbor called to borrow an egg (I still owe her for the cumin I borrowed) and I had to say no! The horror! The shame. I vowed never again. I am now the proud owner of powdered eggs. I thought I'd better put them right to the test. I am not one to have literally tons of food tucked away for thirty years 'just in case.' If I store it, I use it. If 'just in case' ever comes, I am not switching cold turkey to moo milk and powdered eggs. That would be quite the shock to one's system, don't you think? For the record, we use our moo milk a couple of times a month and my kids love it. Also for the record, moo milk gives me nasty aftertaste owing to the unpronounceable, unnatural ingredients contained therein and it is no longer a welcome part of our food storage. Only real powdered milk for me from now on. But what to do with the other two moo milk buckets?
Back to the eggs, I decided to put them right to the test and I made scrambled eggs with them. I guess I was expecting something a little more like the scrambled eggs they serve at IKEA, or cafeterias. Just something not quite right about them. Unfortunately, there was a lot not right with the powdered eggs in my scrambled eggs. Then, I decided to try it in some rice pudding that I had been planning on making that day anyway. Once again, no dice. Unless you like grainy, goopy rice pudding. For now, the powdered eggs are waiting to redeem themselves in the next batch of cookies. I do have high hopes for using them in baked goods. There is already a bonus to that. If you use powdered eggs in your cookie dough, you don't have to feel guilty snitching cookie dough as there is no salmonella risk. I might just leave it dough and serve it that way. Wouldn't my kids be excited? Or make cookie dough ice cream. There may be redemption for these eggs after all.
More adventures in self reliance to come--my sun oven is ordered and on its way!
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment